BLACK+DECKER Workmate Plus, Work Bench Tool Stand Saw Horse , Dual Height with Heavy Duty Steel Frame, WM825

Dual Working Heights No Yes Yes Yes
Folded size (W x H x D) 63 x 89 x 13 cm 61 x 74 x 19.5 cm 74.2 x 74 x 20 cm 83 x 74 x 20 cm
Vice Jaw Opening 0-11.5 cm 0-13.6 cm 0-13.6 cm 0-20.5 cm
Vice Jaw Length 61 cm 61 cm 74 cm 74 cm
Max Table Width – Jaws Open 34.1cm 38.4 cm 38.4 cm 54.1 cm
Vice Jaw Positions 0 1 1 3
Maximum Load 160 kg 250 kg 250 kg 250 kg
One Handed Operation No No No Yes
Fully Assembled No Yes Yes Yes
Vice Jaw Material Compressed Bamboo Particle Board Particle Board Particle Board

Dimensions: 83 x 74 x 20 cm; 14.55 Kilograms
Model: WM825-XJ
Part: WM825
Colour: Black/ Brown
Pack Quantity: 1
Batteries Required: No
Batteries Included: No
Manufacture: Stanley Black & Decker
Colour: Black/ Brown
Quantity: 1

1.  United Kingdom

Very sturdy bench, but instructions were written by the same people who write Ikea’s!
    Plastic drive belt snapped whilst using it first time – needs to be stronger.
    Reluctant to return as bench works without belt, but have to use both hands to turn the handles, which rather defeats the object.

2. MandyRoyal says:

This is the most versatile workmate I have used so far, having had several models both in the US and UK. It holds jobs far bigger than it’s size securely and is stable on all but the most uneven surfaces.

After a life of around 35 years my previous B & D Workmate needed replacing. Not bad as it has lived outdoors for most of the last 10 years, with just a cover over it to keep it dry. This new one was delivered promptly and was up and working for its living within a few hours of arrival. Needless to say it is starting out its life living indoors in my Workshop.

4. CodyYahvvd says:

5. tweeter63m says:

Instructions useless had to go to YouTube, bought it but I also have a keeter and a few other workbenches which are more stable but wanted to try this with the clamping folding mechanism. Not really impressed life long DIY er, it’s ok, but I wouldn’t buy it again now I have tested it.

No problem with the product, but the package we received had clearly been opened before, was damaged, and taped up very poorly. The metal fastening staples were hanging out, leaving the contents vulnerable to being lost. There was some chipping to the timber clamps.
    In view of the inconvenience of returning such a heavy item, and the fact that it will be subjected to some heavy use, we accepted it reluctantly. We paid full price, so should receive perfect goods.

Bought for my husband.
    2 stars for ease of assembly as I didn’t see him for 2 hours and he still hadn’t got it right.
    However when he tried again he was successful.
    He is pleased with the produc

Bought for my husband.
    However when he tried again he was successful.
    He is pleased with the produc

15. Emily Price says:

This was bought to be used in a newly set-up Men’s Shed where space is limited in workspace. I have had one of these for 30-40 years and it is still going strong. This is a much better version than my one with sturdier frame and wider top and jaw spacing. The only part I am unsure about is the perforated belt which connects the two winding handles to enable faster opening and closing of the jaws. I suspect that this might not be as durable as the rest of the workmate as it is made of a nylon plastic material but that aside the jaws will still open or close if it breaks or stretches to prevent the cogged wheel on each handle from working independently of each other as on my old Workmate. That aside the Workmate is an excellent versatile tool for professional and DIY use.

16. KobyKxbzzx says:

My last workmate gave up the ghost after 40yrs great service. At age 66 I Umm’d and Aaah’d about getting another, but a useful tool to have and frustrating if you need one and haven’t got one. I like the idea of the tilting back plate which the old one didn’t have. The whole thing feels more flimsy, the timber on top is almost half the thickness of my old one, but will probably outlive me. The reason for 4 stars instead of 5 was the assembly was a pig, there were no clear instructions (maybe because I got a warehouse deal not in original box) but it was an interesting puzzle nonetheless. good bit of kit overall

17. BerenicZ22 says:

Thankgod there is a picture of it assembled on the box because the instructions weren’t very detailed, but….once I’d say back and studied the picture I was glad that I hadn’t got to ask a male neighbour to help.

18. Tomas Malloy says:

19. MillieBehrens says:

20. JohnK84eznswcm says:

I should have bought one years ago. It takes up little space when folded and provides a stable base to work on for sawing and other DIY tasks. It holds awkward shapes steady when you’re working on them and it is easy to alter the grips or the size of the work bench.

26. Dua Rashid says:

I have owned, and used a Workmate for many years now, I wouldn’t be without it, its durable, strong, easy to set up and stores flat. When our daughters partner saw it in use recently, he said how it was just what he had been looking for. We purchased this new version of the Black&Decker Workmate as a Christmas present, knowing it will be used often, and last a lifetime, and be a worthwhile present.

27. MargieQyjdqt says:

Overall I’m happy with the workmate but I had one issue.

Mine arrived misaligned. The handles weren’t rotated to the same orientation and the bench clamped unevenly. i.e. One side would close about 2cm earlier than the other. This should be a simple fix. Just dis-engage the belt, align, re-engage the belt. Unfortunately the belt is so tight that this is really awkward to do without breaking the plastic belt. I managed to do it but in the process, the belt is partially ripped along the seam where the loop was joined. Fingers crossed it holds up!

Overall I’m happy with the workmate but I had one issue.

29. David Lumb says:

Comes as a flatpack with assembly instructions which look as if they’ve been drawn by a child. Difficult to follow, especially at section 5 until you realise that the component is a “spanner”. B&D should take a leaf out of Haynes Manuals and use photographs, better wording and sequencing. Once assembled the product seems to work OK and fulfils its intended purpose.

The Workmate is a sturdy platform for DIY.. I had a much older one (nearly 25years ) that after DIY abuse had come to the end of its useful life. THe new one is great.
    HOWEVER, the creator of the instruction sheet for this needs to try again…
    Took ages to sort out which bits fitted where and much jiggery pokkery to get the moveable wind in platform to close parallel to the fixed platform. All working now, but be warned!

31. Mackenzie Frazier says:

Although it’s a black and decker kit the instructions could be better on how to assemble
    For instance there is a part you have to use to tighten the nuts up with but it doesn’t tell you that and fitting the worktop it give the plastic runners information but they show the wrong way up
    Could be bette

32. UlrikeLove says:

Could be bette

33. Ishah Clay says:

Could be bette

I love workmates and actually have three of my own. Multiple workmates just increases what you can do. But this one was bought as a gift for a friend. It came needing more assembly than any of mine and still with the pain in the backside handle mounting. But it’s still a classic and versatile bench that will last for years to come. It’s the basic one height model which I personally prefer because it’s quick to set up and put away in comparison to the dual height version. It takes up less room in storage and because of this it is more likely to be used in hurry. My friend is happy with it. Who wouldn’t be

Awesome piece of kit, necessary for and work on the house, and this one having the larger work surface and angle adjustable top plate, that is very handy. It’s sturdy just like all black & Decker Workmates. Wouldn’t be without one.
    The only downside are the build instructions, they are awful. Honestly who was responsible for such rubbish.. they need a word with themselves. To create knock those build seps together and leave work thinking they’ve just done a brilliant job the mind boggles, and worse no one at black and decker noticed how bad they were.
    But, luckily there are some very handy YouTube videos available from people that have assembled this model and you’ll have it assembled in minutes. Apart from that, it’s an essential piece of kit.
    Just so you know though. Compacted or setup, it is noticeably bigger than the standard workmate.

I purchased two of these Workmates at the beginning of December 2021. If you look at the photographs you will see the wear and tear damage to one of them after only a few uses. I use these for DIY. This broken belt is the one that connects the two handles that allows the vice to close evenly while operating either handle. It now does not work on this item and I expect it to fail on the second workmate. Tut tut Black and Decker. The belt is so inferior to requirements that it is a useless feature to have on this product if it is destined to fail, which I believe it will, on any of them given my experience and what I can see. This is a real headache for the consumer and the retailer. I have a Black and Decker Workmate that is over 30 years old and still going strong. I now wonder how long are these destined to last.

Product Quality

37. Stepani4967 says:

I haven’t had a chance to road test this yet but it all seems reasonable quality for the price and I’m sure it will do the job. With all these things the amount of use I give it will tell. Back and Decker is usually a fairly safe medium use bet. If my last workmate was anything to go by I’ll be more than happy.

I bought “BLACK+DECKER Workmate Plus, Work Bench Tool Stand Saw Horse , Dual Height with Heavy Duty” to replace my 30+ year old Black and Decker workmate. They aren’t as sturdy as the old one but it does the job. I went for this one with the flip up front as it should at some point save me from having to use separate clamps

40. Gemma says:

Simple to put together and once complete I don’t know why I sued to struggle on without one, makes all those DIY jobs so much easier and the price was great , well impressed

41. ClevelaLudwick says: