Hive 851816 Thermostat for Heating and Hot Water control (conventional boilers) with Hub, White, 620.0 mm*150.0 mm*620.0 mm

Weight: 860 g
Dimensions: 15 x 62 x 62 cm; 860 Grams
Model: 851816
Colour: White
Manufacture: Hive
Colour: White

Golden Review Award: 2 From Our UsersBought this with the install by British Gas . The engineer had a great wealth of knowledge on the product and he set up my app and gave me advice on how get the best out of using the Hive system . App is easy to understand and setting up the heating and Hot water is quick and less hassle than using the controls on the hive.
    You can set it from the device if you dont have the app or your phone is flat and its worth learning how to use both but the app is more straight forward to use . Compared to a standard thermostat and timer this is more flexible with a lot more options to adjust for every day of the week and you can adjust it from anywhere through the app. Boost buttons on device and app so if you need more hot water then quick and easy .The options with Alexa to control is handy and the commands are quick and responsive. Pleased with purchase and as thermostat is moveable and not hard wired its another benefit as you can take it in to any room and set the heating for the room your in. There is override buttons on the hive receiver so all covered if issues with wifi.

Once installed exceptionally easy to use

Been using for quite a while now and its been easy to use and reliable

Alexa integration is great with no issues around voice control

There are a few criticisms
    1. If you work shifts then not enough daily slots but if you work 9 to 5 then plenty of time slots
    2. Integration with Alexa & Life360 is great for turning heating off when everyone in house leaves BUT it turns settings to off rather than to schedule mode.
    This means heating won’t come on at scheduled time later in day….you have to manually turn it back to schedule

Really impressed with product overall and would highly recommend

Once installed exceptionally easy to use

Been using for quite a while now and its been easy to use and reliable

Alexa integration is great with no issues around voice control

There are a few criticisms

Really impressed with product overall and would highly recommend

4. DinahEdler says:

Had this installed by a British Gas engineer.
    All went extremely well, the engineer knew exactly what he was doing.
    I have a y-plan system and would never switch to a combi.
    The reason is, that if my boiler is ever faulty, then I lift a couple of electric radiators in from the guarage and switch the immersion heater on.
    With a combi you would have no hot water to bath or shower in, unless you have electric shower. I have a power shower so need a tank of hot water to feed the power shower.
    The Hive reacts perfectly with Alexa and give me the option to set Heating or hot water on as a scheduled set up and also via voice commands to Alexa.
    Seems perfect in every way.
    Would I recommend it, oh YES

5. FrankieStillwel says:

Since buying this and having the installation from British Gas I have been delighted with the increased level of control and temperature accuracy that we have experienced when compared with our old analogue thermostat and boiler controller.

We currently have the thermostat “free-standing”, i.e not wall-mounted or even an a stand, but this does not seem to in any way detract from its operation. Making changes to the off-on schedule and/or temperature, either via this unit or, more often via the phone app is extremely simple and straightforward.

All in all, an excellent purchase!

6. [email protected] CC11 says:

All in all, an excellent purchase!

I paid for the installation as well, only had to wait a week, considering it was the week of Black Friday I was impressed. Really impressed with the Hive and how easy it is to control it. The British Gas Engineer was brilliant, so thorough, explained everything, called back the following day to check it was still connected to the internet and it was all working well.

8. DannyBeveridge says:

Having switched from another smart thermostat supplier I was already used to its features.
    So far so good it does everything it should do , I also have the matching smart plug which is great for when you are away etc.
    I had a complex wire system due to the old smart thermostat that was a free trial.
    So I went for the installation from British Gas, I am glad I did as he removed the old switching unit and another junction box for me and installed the new control unit.
    I wasn’t confident in doing it myself but if you are then great, It would seem all you need is the control box with is wired into the junction box that controls all the heating, The old room thermostat is redundant as is the old programmer ( wires clipped and taped up )

9. Nicole Nordli quotSimply Madequot says:

10. lindabol915 says:

Excellent product & service from Gas installer.
    I am very pleased that I purchased this Hive thermostat with Professional Installation from Amazon. Every step was clearly notified & the installation was trouble free. I cannot believe how much I have used the Hive app on my phone & it is so easy to control hence saving money by turning the heating up or down or on & off as required. I also have a dimmable Hive bulb which I can fully control on the app. I haven’t yet connected it to Alexa but have no doubt that this would be useful too. I never want to be without Hive & would highly recommend it to all.

11. David Watsky says:

Excellent product & service from Gas installer.

Purchased to replace my existing Honeywell ST9400C Programmer and CM927 Wireless Room Thermostat so British Gas installation was straightforward and took approximately 40 minutes. Ordered installation online on 31/12/2019 and had to wait until 27/01/2020 but was worth waiting for as I found Hive system easy to setup. To schedule heating and hot water via the iOS app is very quick, especially as you can copy any day’s 6-cycle schedule to other selected days. You can switch to Manual mode instantly if you wish or override (boost) scheduled times as required or simply switch off. You can even select ‘Ready By’ mode for heating whereby rather than switching on at your selected target temperature, the system will instead learn how long your home takes to heat up and then starts your heating at the right time for the target temperature to be reached at the time you have set. Holiday mode is useful too if you want to set your leave and return dates/times for peace of mind.
    If you want to use the Geolocation facility, this can alert you on your mobile if you have left the heating on when leaving your home or alert you if the house temperature is too low as you return, together with other optional smart actions.
    The thermostat looks good and I can relocate mine quickly from the wall bracket to the Hive Chrome Stand in any room as needed, so most of the time, it resides on its attractive stand in the lounge.
    Having purchased three Hive warm-white LED lamps, I use Hive Actions on the same iOS app which I have setup myself to switch on such things as the porch light at 50% before I arrive home or a table lamp in the lounge to switch on at 40% for movie watching. With additional Hive window or door-opening detection accessories, you can if you wish build on this to create your ‘smart home’ so the Hive Hub, which is supplied via the BG engineer (along with the Thermostat dual-channel Receiver [for controlling heating and hot water] that mounts next to your boiler) keeps your home network of devices all connected plus allows you to control everything from wherever you happen to be in the world.
    It’s great to be able to instantly check on the current temperature of the house when out and about so as to ensure you only heat as and when necessary. Prior to this installation, I would need to set the heating before leaving home by estimating when I would be returning at a time which might change. Overall, I highly recommend this system as it is well designed and is quite liberating to use!

13. Chris Chin says:

This is the best thing I have ever bought for my house. We had an old thermostat that either froze you or cooked you. This was professionally installed by British Gas and integrated with my Alexa. Now I can control my heating seamlessly and I think I’m gonna make a lot of savings on gas. Its stylish and smart. Thing is as well, you can program it easily for times of the day so your never heating an empty house. I would highly recommend this item to anyone who wants to try and save a bit of money on fuel !

15. GPBMaxinex says:

I’ve had Hive a couple of years now. B.G. installed it very quickly and efficienly.
    It’s stylish, simple to use manually, via the app and via Alexa. I find the app easier to use than using the controller manually as it’s easier to see what’s going on and also simpler to set schedules. I’s great to be able to switch the heating or hot water on or off when I’m at the beach, away from home etc. and to be able to monitor indoor temperatures if I’m away during cold weather.
    Alexa works well with the controller though upgrades to one or the other do sometimes mean the commands change slightly, sometimes being an improvement and other times mildly frustrating. be aware that Hive specific commands, such as ‘Boost’ have to be given to Alexa as ‘Alexa, ask Hive to boost the heating’ wheras normal commands such as increasing the temperature generally, are given as ‘Alexa, set the heating to 20’ for example.
    I’ve just purchased some Hive light bulbs which seem to work very well too and a radiator thermostat which I’ve yet to install.

16. NXDGilbert says:

Does exactly what it says on the tin. The app is easier to use than the thermostat itself. Easy to program, we’re just fine tuning at the minute as it’s only been installed a few days.
    Hive support was pretty poor. I booked a morning appointment weeks in advance as I was working an afternoon shift that day.
    Got a 5 hour time slot for engineer arrival. No other estimate on the day. I called hive to see if there was a time or the engineers number to call. Got fobbed off with ‘he’ll be there by 12pm’. Didn’t arrive, so called again. Eventually arrived 10 minutes before the end of the 5 hour slot. I was now late for work and had to call to book a half day holiday.
    The engineer rushed the installation and didn’t set it up to the WiFi. Isn’t that the whole point?
    He muttered something about calling hive.
    I set it up myself after he left.
    I’m sure it will be a good investment overall. Just very disappointed with the service.

Not once, not twice but thrice I’d arranged an installation date with British Gas who on the alloted day simply didn’t turn up. After the second no show, no goo when over the Winter period the next available day they were able to offer me was 2 months later! Pure incompetence from BG with respect to scheduling of install dates/keeping customers informed.

Product itself is highly recommended. Easy to use. I love being able to control the heating from my phone (even when I am in the house – it means I don’t have to physically go to the boiler to do it).

As recommended, My husband and I had completed the download of the app on our phones before the installer was due to come.

18. Ed Hardy says:

After 3.5 years use, this product has definitely shown its worth, and in this time I have had 0 technical issues.

As seen by the images, I’m one for leaving the protective film on, and it has lasted this entire time. The rest of the product is like new apart from the top buttons, they have began to yellow (we don’t smoke, naturally turning yellow). However this isn’t very prominent and still looks a high quality device.

This system integrates with alexa perfectly, you simply state “set heating to x degrees” and it adjusts to that, with alexa providing feedback.

The ability to monitor the termpature remotely via the app such as when outside the home is brilliant, and it ensures you don’t come back to a cold house, or a house that is too hot. Also within the app you can set a schedule, for instance each morning between 6am-8am to be at 22 degrees, and you can also adjust each day of the week, so on a weekend you aren’t woken by a sweltering house!

The only 2 issues I have had:
    -If you scroll the dial too fast it won’t register an increase and sometimes may decrease, however this isn’t a major issue.
    -Over time the thermostat temperature seems to be reading a little higher than the actual room temperature, by 1 or 2 degrees, but it’s predictable, and we have learnt the true value compared to this.

I would 100% recommend this product and I would say it is an integral part to any smart home! Couldn’t be without it now!

*Stand not included

Integral part to a smart home

The only 2 issues I have had:

*Stand not included

Integral part to a smart home

Upgraded my old thermostat to the hive and glad i did , looks stylish and you can purchase new surrounds to match your decor if you like . Easy to use and set up app . Love that i can turn on my heating and control it while I’m out . I also have the hive light bulbs which all link through the app to .
    I also have linked it through my google nest so when feeling lazy don’t even have to move off the sofa to turn the heat up .
    Would recommend especially if its on offer ( which is what urged me to buy mine , also included installation, don’t know how hard it would be to install yourself )

We managed to get the hive wired in fairly easily given ours is an older boiler. We then tried to set up the connections and that was definitely not simple. We initially got it working with the thermostat but couldn’t get it connected on the app so had to basically start from scratch again and eventually it all connected. We have had one instance of losing connection but on the whole it’s been fine. I do love how easy it is to schedule, boost and advance even without being in the house.

23. Jordan Pearson says:

24. CGDev says:

The hive programmer came in three parts, a hub unit to connect to the network, a receiver that requires hard wiring to the existing heating system and the wireless programmer which is also the heating thermostat. Wiring was easy being an ex electrician, the base plate is the standard base as used by mini minder programmers and countless others and if you are lucky there may not be any wiring to do as the new unit may clip on to the existing baseplate. I was not so lucky as the lugs on my now redundant base plate were to large to fit in the slots so it was a case of undoing the cables and noting which numbered terminals they came from. The new base plate uses the exact same numbering system so was fairly easy. The hardest part was getting the hub to work as it did not like several of the locations I first tried. If close to televisions or radios it may not work due to interference, but after several attempts I managed to get it up and running. Getting it to work by Alexa again was fairly simple and now I have voice control, great from my bed in the morning as I am a slow riser and can command the heating and hot water to come on before rising. In fact I do not use the inbuilt scheduled timer as it is cheaper for me to just put the heating on when I start to get cooler and the hot water when I need it. I have noticed my gas consumption has gone down but it will need a hard winter before I know if I can recoup the initial high expense.

25. Demi8053jnu says:

Had one of these in our previous home. We moved into a new build and they put the thermo in the lounge. Half the house was warm and the rest colder.
    We now have the hive which we can move around and now put this in the kitchen and this appears to wrk well for us. 2 weeks. Very happy with the purchase. I did use a professional to install so I make no claims there. Very happy with this product an also gives us the ability to switch on when we are out and about so the house is warm when we get home.

26. IsmaelBurchell says:

Fitted easily to a combination boiler. Especially if you already have a timer added to the boiler.
    Read some feedback about British Gas struggled with it. Why doesn’t that surprise me. And half decent electrician can fit this.
    Links to Alexa really easily controls really well. I don’t see drops in temp too much like my old thermometer. Can set loads of on offs for every day. Dead easy to use via the hive app. Tell Alexa and she will alter it. Control it on the move.
    Very very pleased.

We love this. It was installed by the engineer after fitting a new boiler. At first the hub would not connect to our internet and he had to call tech support who resolved the problem fairly quickly. The system works beautifully. You can set up a schedule to control the heating each day. You can also control via a thermostat and an app on your phone, which means you can adjust the heating remotely. We think this is brilliant and so easy to use

29. Gabby Triolo says:

Welcome to the 21st century, great replacement for my old thermostat. Really pleased with how this works, so easy to operate either manually or by the phone app and the really good thing is you can control your heating away from your home so you can come home to a nice warm house without having to wait for the heat to get up to temperature after you return home. Was easy to fit and set up myself but, be careful if you are not fairly handy with DIY and electrics, if in doubt get a qualified person to install.

30. Stuart Miles says:

Had a gas engineer fit this for a fair price . Does exactly what his says and what I needed .
    Instead of the old thermostat being in the kitchen. . It’s now in the lounge , where we spend most of our time . We use Alexa with it. And it’s handy to adjust heating when your on your way home

33.  United Kingdom

This product has been a genuine game changer. I now can change the temperature of the house on my way home from work or when I’m out walking the dogs. It has saved me quite a bit of money as I don’t need to keep the heating on alll the time. The Mrs loves taking it when the house is warm.

34. 'Mean' friends are the best kind of friends, science confirms says: