Returnal (PS5)

1. Returnal
  2. Returnal
  3. Returnal

PS5 Features

PS5 SSD

Fast loading

Jump through portals between worlds with the PS5 system’s ultra-high speed SSD. Get back into the action with near-instant load speeds.

PS5 Adaptive Triggers

Adaptive triggers

Switch instinctively between firing modes by using a single adaptive trigger – go straight from aiming down sights to your gun’s alternative fire.

PS5 Haptic Feedback

Haptic feedback

Sense in-game actions big and small – while exploring fragments of Selene’s memories, or when firing visceral alien weapons.

PS5 3D Audio

Tempest 3D Audio

Hear the action from every direction in 3D Audio on compatible headphones – bullets flying past you, enemies circling overhead, or unseen foes.

Dimensions: 17 x 1.2 x 12 cm; 80 Grams
Model: 9814696

Returnal is easily my favourite next-gen game yet. It has fantastic mechanics, an intruiging narrative, a superb sci-fi atmosphere with a haunting soundtrack and it makes excellent use of next-gen features like the DualSense, 3D audio and the fast SSD. It’s a challenging game for sure, but never unfair. It’s an absolute joy to play and if you even remotely like sci-fi and fast-paced action games that offer a good challenge, it should be a no-brainer.

2. GeorgeAlbright says:

3. LazaroClamp says:

4. CletaCaire says:

Returnal has been a joy to play. It’s rogue-like gameplay style is difficult to enjoy at times to begin with, but each and everytime you return, you adapt, learn and compensate for what has come before and what is to come. The environments are incredibly well designed and look amazing. The creatures that inhabit the planet of Atropos are both dangerous and beautiful to behold. Weapon design is inventive and very clever. Explore the world at your peril, but with the knowledge that you will find many wonderful things along the way on your journey to the story’s end. This one absolutely has replay value, and who knows a few speed runs along the way.

An incredible journey in a world that challenges on every level

An incredible journey in a world that challenges on every level

An incredible journey in a world that challenges on every level

7. Alecia says:

An incredible journey in a world that challenges on every level

8. TwilaDuCroz says:

So far it is the best looking game on the PS5. The environment and all the effects and sounds they created are matching the story and it’s all very immersive. Since it’s a PS exclusive the gameplay is loaded with these micro effects on the controller, which are also great.
    I would say it’s a game for people who very often do gaming, as some features of the game can be frustrating and difficult for casual gamers who only play a few hours a week. You cannot choose between difficulties, which I didn’t like at first, because I like to play all my games on hardest difficulty and I just fought that the game will not be challenging enough for me, but fortunately it was. At the same time, it may be too challenging for people who like to play a game only for it’s story.

I strongly recommend it for gamers, who will not get frustrated by dying a couple of times in-game and losing all your hard-earned items, just to have to fight all over and over again to get them back. After all that’s what this game is all about.

9. MikeVidaluwklr says:

10. KarinePantoja says:

11. WildaCarnevale says:

I am a 50 year old gamer and this is one of the best games I have played, looks great is super tough, but worth getting a PS5 for.

13. JonathoCanter says:

Great gameplay, story that comes to make more sense and quizzical at same time more times it’s played. Bought on sale(only time I’ve seen it on sale) and it’s back to full price even as a launch title should say enough about the quality of i

15. DixieQuintero says:

Hated this game to the point of wishing I hadn’t bought it. Would have 1-starred it. I am a dad player, age 36 – I used to game as a teenager, I enjoy gaming now but can’t devote days at a time and have to stop to look after kids etc. Frequently spend a month away from the console.

The inability to save was a joke before, making the game impossible to make meaningful progress in for players like me.

That has all changed with v2. The suspend cycle feature is a life saver. I can stop and come back! Also by using the cloud save upload / download trick I am managing to actually get somewhere with the game and really enjoying it. I’m not sure I’ll complete it (it’s still hard!) but I feel I’ll get my money’s worth.

In summary – the game was too difficult for average gamer dads without a save feature. Now it is fantastic and within reach of the average gamer dad. Still difficult as hell, but doable and enjoyable.

18. ShannonTruebrid says:

Returnal is a fast paced sci-fi third person ‘roguelike’ shooter.

What does this term mean?

Essentially, when you die, you lose all your weapons and power ups, and restart from the very beginning.
    NOTE: there are exceptions (some upgrades are permanent, and defeating the boss after ‘level 3’, provides you with a new restart point).

This sounds intimidating, however the game’s story is interwoven into this. You are supposed to die repeatedly, and use those lessons to overcome the obstacles. If you persevere to learn the ropes, you’ll be able to blast through with minimal fuss.

Now that is explained, how is the game?

Gameplay – Returnal is obscenely addictive. It’s one of those “just one more run” games, where I found it difficult to put the controller down. You spend most of your time shooting and dodging attacks from vicious alien enemies in ‘bullet hell’ environments. The shooting is extremely satisfying.

World – The game’s world is procedurally generated, meaning no run will ever look the same as the majority of areas you explore are completely random. This allows for more fun and less predictability.

Story – Beyond the premise of being stuck in a time loop on an alien planet, Returnal has a vague storyline open to interpretation. There is a heavy use of metaphors and nothing is explicitly explained. There are gameplay sections where the pace slows down to deliver story beats.

Haptics – This game has the BEST use of the PS5 controller to date. You feel every single rumble and shake, it works fantastically.

Loading – There are no load screens, the PS5 takes care of this.

If you enjoy a challenge and can accept death as a learning experience, you should definitely pick this up.

Bought initially for my partner. He’s meant to be an avid gamer but he wimped out until I started playing it with him (1 player but I do most of the level and he dips in at the end to take care of the boss fights, although that is no small thing)! I was intrigued by Returnal’s strangeness and I am now hooked.

This is a tough and unforgiving but continuously rewarding game and if you’re a fan of creative, thought provoking, philosophic sci-fi or fantasy or surrealist narratives- try this game.

20. CaseyLahey says: